So Brian and I finally got our schedules organized to move the spare engine out of his backyard. First we had to borrow Bennett’s engine hoist, which meant disassembling it and fitting it into Peer Pressure, then driving that over to Brian’s. Then we had to build a ramp to coast the engine and cart down off his patio, onto grass, and then onto the driveway. Then we rebuilt the hoist and raised the engine.

New 345, ready to move

Then we scooted the Scout under it and ratcheted it down with four straps.

Into the Scout

The engine hoist got broken down and shoved into the back of Brian’s Prius. I drove gingerly up 95 to the house, backed in, and we reassembled the hoist.

Out of the Scout

Then we muscled the engine and cart up into the garage, got the hoist inside, and attempted to mate it to the Harbor Freight engine stand I’ve had for 8 years. We got three of four bolts to mount but when we let the hoist drop the whole stand leaned frighteningly forward. So we put it back on the cart and called it a day.

On a cart in the garage

So, I’ve got some reading to do. I think I’m going to start with some basic engine rebuilding books and go from there. But for now, I’m resting my back.

Date posted: October 21, 2013 | Filed under Friends, Purchasing | 1 Comment »

One Response to New Ticker Delivered.

  1. MIke Carey says:

    that’s cool bill. it’s got the long neck for the oil fill – a friend of mine has that, they are convenient! it will be cool to take that thing apart and see if it has already been rebuilt, what shape the rods are in, etc. i am on the lookout for v8 266.

  2. Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *