So here’s a list of the haul from Flintstone, so that I’ve got a record of what I dragged home.

In no particular order:

  • The steering wheel—I got the entire thing all the way to the steering box, and I even found the horn button on the floor
  • The plastic steering wheel column cover, in black
  • The steering box—Got it, along with one chewed up castle nut.
  • The lower tailgate latch assembly—I took some time and got the latch, the button, both rods and latch arms
  • One of the latch arms from the liftgate
  • 4 bolts where the windshield connects to the roof
  • The washer bottle—this came off cleanly, along with the little hoses to the squirters (Mine got squashed last summer)
  • Hubcaps—I found one front and one rear.
  • The coolant overflow tank—although all of the mounting tabs crumbled when I pulled it off
  • Light buckets—I got three good side markers and one taillight lens, along with one front turn signal. The rest were trashed.
  • Both of the 1978 headlight surrounds—the grille was in pieces on the ground underfoot
  • The complete dome light assembly
  • The automatic transmission shift cover
  • Another glovebox door
  • All of the dash gauges, and the dash surround (although that is chewed all to hell; I have three spares in the basement)
  • The ashtray—apart from two stubbed-out butts, this is in perfect shape
  • The license plate assembly—it’s a hinged model
  • two sets of sun visors, both somewhat swollen, and all associated hardware
  • A rusted but recognizable tailgate from a 1961 Scout 80, with the IH logo embossed. What I’ll do with this I don’t know, but I got it for nothing.
  • An emergency brake setup from the same ’61, which Brian can use in his 800.

The stuff I wasn’t able to get, based on my original list:

  • Both front hubs—Dave wanted to keep these with the axles, so I left them.
  • The heater motor unit—this was trashed underneath and I didn’t have the time to dig deeper.
  • Inner fenders—completely trashed.
  • Door strikers from both sides—of four bolts I was only able to get one to budge, after repeated abuse with the impact driver.
  • The transmission tunnel cover—this Scout came with factory air, which meant the A/C ducting prevented me from getting the top two bolts off the cover.
  • Rear armrests—both of these were moldy black. No thanks!
  • Side moulding—someone had come along and stuck a sheet metal screw in the middle of each of these, presumably to hold them on, which had then rusted to the body. I was able to get one off cleanly, but the rest are still on the truck.
  • The interior fiberglas panels—both of these were drilled for janky-looking shoulder belts, and there was a wood block drilled into both of them in the back. I passed. I’ve got a spare set in the garage attic.
  • The cowl cover—the bolts holding this on were rusted solid. I have a spare from the Wheaton scout.
  •  Evap gear from the rear access port—not enough time to get into this
  • The slider windows—here I also ran out of time.
  • The windshield—this was actually in decent shape, but there wasn’t enough time. I’d go back out there for the glass before he scraps it, if someone else wanted to join me.

As for me, my soft desk hands are covered in annoying little cuts. I’ve got two particularly annoying gashes right above the nail on my left middle finger and the top of my right thumb (the kind that catch on the pocket of your jeans or get wet and open back up doing the dishes). I have an abrasion along my right wrist up to my elbow. I’ve got a 2″ gash on the top of my left knee from the old Scout 80; if I get lockjaw in the next couple of days I’ll know where that came from.

So now I’ve got to dig out the bins and organize everything into their right place (there’s one bin for exterior parts, one for interior parts, one for electrics, etc.) The steering wheel will be disassembled so that I can see if the turn signal canceling cam is intact; if so that’ll go into Peer Pressure with a new lockset. Knowing how all of that comes apart on a spare will keep me from completely trashing my working setup.

The power steering pump will get hosed with Simple Green and then powerwashed to the bare metal; this will be set aside for a core trade-in when I order whatever new pump I buy. I’ve also got several starters and one brake booster that might fetch $20/each for a core charge.

The 1980 light surrounds, transmission cover, and hubcaps will probably go up for sale, along with the other shifter cover and OEM center console I’ve got sitting on the shelf.

It’s funny—for a while, I’ve looked back on parting out the Wheaton Scout and wondering why I didn’t pull more off that rig; having just spent the good part of a day wrestling with this truck (both of them equally rusty) I think I may have gotten less from this one than I did from that one. And I was better prepared this time. Maybe it’s because I spent a lot of time on the steering gear.

Date posted: March 12, 2021 | Filed under Purchasing | Leave a Comment »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *