I’ve always had a lot of projects planned for the Scout. I tend to research a particular improvement, gather the materials together to get the project started, and then wait patiently for the time to get it done. As a result I’ve got a ton of stuff laying around and no idea where to start (or what I’ve got, as some of the stuff has been laying around here for a while). So here’s an unordered, unfinished list to get everything out of my head and into one place: something else to consider is the money I’ve put into these projects without getting anything done. It’s time to make some progress before I buy anything else. So, without further preamble:

  • Install new steering wheel. I’ve got the wheel and a puller. I’m stalled on this for time, and because the puller wasn’t working correctly; I need two longer grade 8 bolts to screw into the retainer plate to get the factory wheel off. I also want to replace the ignition lock barrel and the turn signal cam while I’m in there.
  • New side indicator lights. I’ve got one completed. I need to pull the headlight bucket out to reach the disconnect behind the inner fender so that I can unplug the original and replace it with the new one. Turns out the wiring I’ve got has no quick connector on the outside of the inner fender, so there’s no way to add the lights I’ve got without cutting and splicing my wires.
  • Mounting the Rotopax. I cut and prepared a metal backing plate for the inside of the inner fender. Done!
  • Mounting new seats. I’ve got the seats. I need to repair or replace my bases, and drill into the seats to properly mount them to the bases. Then I can put them in. They need a good cleaning, too. Done!
  • Hydroboost. I have the reservoir, the standoff plate, and all the hoses and fittings. I needĀ someone who’s done it before to help me put it in.
  • Slider windows and weatherstripping. I have new seals and sliders sitting in the garage. I need some warm weather to loosen up the rubber and some Eastwood rust encapsulator to clean up the window openings.
  • New side rail covers. I bought these last summer and haven’t had the balls to drill into them yet. They need to be primed and painted.

So unless some kind of miracle combination of time, money, or opportunity comes along and I inherit a car-sized paint booth, adopt an engine mechanic, or win the lottery, I’m going to try and get these jobs accomplished this year before I tackle anything else. That is, of course, if nothing breaks.

Date posted: January 19, 2015 | Filed under Future Plans, To-Do List | 2 Comments »

2 Responses to 2015 To-Do List.

  1. Alan Bryan says:

    I just read your posts on your website. I have done the hydroboost on two scouts. I have found an easy way to do it without a lot of fab work. getting most of the parts from parts stores and salvage yard. email me if interested in more details

  2. Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *